With ganesh chathurti coming nearer, I am here with a special post for vinayaka chathurti. Kozhukkattai is an item which is very often prepared at home, especially for kids as this is an easy to make and healthy snack too. Kozhukkatta is a popular indian sweet and there are various versions of kozhukkattai available. I love all the versions of kozhukkattas but this sweet one is one of my favourites and I have made this the same way my mom makes it. Now to the recipe..
|rice flour (idiyappam flour)||1 cup|
|water||1 1/2 cup|
|coconut oil||1 teaspoon|
|jaggery (grated )||1/2 cup|
|coconut (scraped)||3/4 cup|
|cardamom powder / elaichi powder||a pinch|
|dry ginger powder / chukku podi||a pinch|
|cumin powder / jeeraka podi||a pinch|
1. In a pan, add water and let it boil.
2. Meanwhile, take idiyappam flour and salt in a wide mouthed bowl, mix well and keep it aside.
3. Once the water comes to a rolling boil, slowly add water little by little to the idiyappam flour and mix well with the back of a spatula. Combine well and add coconut oil. Mix well, cover it and keep it aside.
4. Melt jaggery with 1/4 cup of water, over medium heat. Strain it to remove the impurities.
5. Add coconut to the filtered jaggery and mix well. To this, add ghee, dry ginger powder, jeera powder and elaichi powder. Mix well and cook till the liquid is dried up. Turn off the stove, keep it aside for cooling.
6. When it is cool, make small balls from it.
7. Make medium sized balls out of the dough. Take one ball at a time, place it in your palm. Press it with the other hand and make it thin, keep the poornam ball in between and cover it well.
8. Repeat the same with the rest of the dough.
9. Grease an idli pan, place the kozhukkatta's on the idli plate and steam cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
10. When cooked, allow it to cool for few minutes.
11. Kozhukkatta is ready.
other related recipes:
If you find this post useful, I would be extremely happy, if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving