Semiya upma - also called as vermicelli upma is an easy to make and tasty breakfast item. It is a very popular South Indian breakfast item with loads of vegetables. It is very great for a breakfast or snack.
Semiya is very popular for semiya payasam and apart from that kesari, upma, idli and there many other items which are prepared from semiya. I make semiya upma atleast twice a week either for breakfast or for snack.
In this semiya upma recipe, I have added coconut, but it is quite optional. If you don't want coconut, you can add lemon juice and coriander leaves. Now the recipe..
|semiya / vermicelli||1/2 cup|
|beans||2 - 3|
|coconut (optional)||1 1/2 tablespoon|
|mustard seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|channa dal||1 teaspoon|
|urud dal||1 teaspoon|
|green chilli (slit)||1|
|dry red chilli||1|
|hing / asafoetida powder||one pinch|
|ginger (chopped)||1 piece|
1. In a pan, dry roast vermicelli till it becomes golden brown color. Take care to roast in low medium heat so that it gets evenly roasted. (If you are using roasted vermicelli, you can use it directly. ). Transfer it to a bowl and keep it aside.
2. In the same pan, heat oil. When the oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds. Then add the ingredients mentioned under the heading "for tempering". Saute for a few seconds.
3. Now add chopped onion and saute till it turns translucent.
4. Next add the vegetables and little salt and saute well.
5. Now add water, salt and bring it to boil. Add roasted vermicelli, stir it well.
6. Reduce the flame, cover the pan and cook till all the moisture is absorbed and veggies are cooked well.
7. Next add grated coconut, mix well and smear coconut oil on top. Mix well. Turn off the stove.
8. Serve it hot.
1. It is very important to roast vermicelli in low flame so that it gets roasted evenly. This is a very important step to get nice upma.
2. Instead of coconut, you can try lemon juice and sprinkle some coriander leaves on top. It tastes great.
Check here for other upma varieties:
1. rava upma
2. aval upma
5. oats upma
6. varagu upma
If you find this post useful, I would be extremely happy if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving